I grew up in New York City. In 1988, I graduated from the prestigious Bronx High School of Science. In 1992, I graduated from the University of Vermont with a Bachelor’s of Science in Business Administration with a major in Finance. Upon graduation, I received the University of Vermont’s highest honor, The Kidder Medal. The Kidder Medal is awarded to the outstanding senior male in character, leadership and scholarship. I then moved back to New York City to take advantage of an outstanding offer to work for and help manage over $300 million for Bear Sterns. Nonetheless, I continued to visit Vermont, as I was obligated to at least come up semi-annually as a University of Vermont Business School Board of Advisors’ member.
Wanting the quality of life Vermont offered, I decided to move back to Vermont, and in 1999, I opened an Edward Jones Investments office in Shelburne. MY office quickly grew from scratch and by December of 2004 I was managing over $60 million for clients and was in the top 1 percent of Edward Jones offices nationwide.
My life suddenly and dramatically changed on January 25th, 2005. After saying goodbye to my then girlfriend, and now wife, Michelle, I was in a near-fatal car accident with a snowplow on my way home. Doctors said I shouldn’t have lived. Luckily, the accident only left me with a temporarily crushed pelvis, causing me to be non-weight-bearing for four months, and leaving me with a surgically repaired ear. My near-fatal car accident changed my perspective on life and on my profession. While still at Fletcher Allen Health Care, I decided to leave Edward Jones Investments and start my own firm with the goal of not only helping clients invest their money, like 93 percent of financial advisors, but to become a real wealth manager, like the other 7 percent, with a complete approach to addressing my clients’ financial lives.*
I now help a select group of individual going through transitions due to death, divorce, inheritance and retirement, make smart decisions with their money that are aligned with their values and goals. I do this by using a consultative process to identify where they are now, where they want to go, and any gaps for getting there. I then work with a network of professional advisors, such as accountants and attorneys, to help my clients make informed decisions to increase the probability of them achieving what is important to them. I only work with a select group of clients for whom I believe I can have a tremendous impact. If I am not the right advisor for someone, I’m more than happy to refer them to someone that is.
I am an Accredited Asset Management Specialist (AAMS), through the College of Financial Planning and a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst (CDFA), through the Institute of divorce Financial analysts. I have been selected the 2013-2016 Best of Shelburne Award** in the Financial Services category by the Shelburne Award Program. I am a 9 year and Qualifying Member of the Million Dollar Roundtable (MDRT), the Premier Association of Financial Professionals, which is comprised of less than 1% of the World’s Financial Service Professionals. I am also a 3 year and Qualifying Member for MDRT’s exclusive Top of the Table. Top of the Table status is the highest level of MDRT membership and it places someone among the top professionals in the global life insurance and financial services industry. Top of the Table is a career milestone attained only be those who have demonstrated exceptional professional knowledge, client service and ethical conduct.
I am a current member of the University of Vermont's Alumni Association Board of Directors, a 24 person board. I am a former member of the University of Vermont's Business School Board of Advisors, a 12 person board. I am a former member of the Boys and Girls Club Board of Advisors, a 45 person board. I am also the former President and Vice President of the Shelburne Business and Professional Association (SBPA).
In 2015 I was honored to receive the 2015 Distinguished Citizen Award by the Boys Scouts of America's (BSA) Green Mountain Council. Each year, BSA councils nationwide host Distinguished Citizens Awards dinners to recognize the extraordinary contributions and civic service of leaders across the U.S. The Distinguished Citizen Award is bestowed upon individuals who best exemplify BSA values of leadership, personal responsibility and civic duty. Past recipients of the Distinguished Citizen Award by the Green Mountain Council include, Governor Howard Dean, MD, Governor Madeline Kunin, US Senator Patrick Leahy and US Senator Bernie Sanders, to name but a few.
I live in Shelburne, Vermont, with my wife Michelle and our two sons, Matias and Ezra. I love spending time and traveling with my family. I enjoy coaching my sons in various team sports including ice hockey and lacrosse. I personally train for and participate in sprint triathlons and I love to ski and play ice hockey.